e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

3/27/2007

going public

So I've been talking to my Comp 106 students--who maintain blogs as part of the work of the class--about issues like being accountable for the things they say/write and the potential that writing has for affecting change. In short, I value "public writing" and want the students to as well.

My student Brandon has been blogging about the conditions of the West Bloomfield Woods Nature Preserve and Trail. On Sunday, the suburban newspaper in his community picked up his blog and published an article about his attempts to raise awareness. Brandon's humble about the whole thing and excited that an audience has actually read his work. I'm thrilled that his experiences so nicelly illustrate the lessons of "public writing" that I've been working to teach. I'm also thrilled the headline of the piece calls Brandon a "blogger" and not a "student."

No comments: